Bert's in the Kitchen

There is something about a man who knows his way around a kitchen. Now, I'm not talking about knowing how to crack open a can or pop something in the microwave. Most men can do that. I'm talking about a man who can separate an egg yolk from an egg white. A man who can chop an onion so swiftly he doesn't have time to cry. A man who can make a roux with one hand behind his back. Or how about a man who just knows what a roux is?

Now, I don't think I personally know any of these type of men. I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't met them, yet.

But my mom has met Bert. I'm not sure who Bert is. I only know that I found this recipe in my mom's recipe box. When I asked her about Bert, she rattled off his family tree and other assorted trivia, and then said this was his favorite cake recipe to make.

I don't know Bert. Don't know if this is his own recipe or if he ripped it off the Internet somewhere. Really, I don't care, because I'm just glad Bert's in the kitchen making and sharing cakes.

Bert's Coconut Pound Cake
5 extra-large eggs
1 c. milk
1 1/2 c. oil
3 c. sugar
1 tsp. lemon flavoring
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
7 oz. flaked, sweetened coconut

Beat the eggs, milk, oil, sugar, and flavorings together in large bowl. Stir in the flour, salt, and baking powder, stirring well. Stir in the coconut. Put in greased and floured Bundt pan in a cold oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.

Comments

Popular Posts