Sunshine

The sunshine returned in full force yesterday.  There is something about being able to go outside that seems to make everything better.

These are things in my day that make everything better.


My mom sends me devotions and crossword puzzles.



My little bluebird of happiness that sits in the window above the kitchen sink.  


My husband going out and getting me breakfast while I was still in bed.


This dog that follows me around the house.  


This recipe.

In attempt to make our immune systems stronger, I bought fresh fruit and vegetables.  Sometimes their shelf life starts to exceed our consumption.  Then, I'm forced to find ways to not waste them. I had these strawberries and some Cool Whip.  I got this recipe from Sunday Supper Movement.  

Strawberry Shortcake

1 1 /2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 c. butter, cold
1/2 c. plain yogurt (I used Yoplait French Vanilla)
3 Tb. milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Add 1 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 c. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt to a medium bowl and whisk together.  Mix 1 large egg, 1/2 c. yogurt, 3 Tb. milk, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla in a separate bowl.  Beat to combine.  In the flour mixture, cut your cold butter into small chunks and mix with your hands until it is crumbly.  Do it quickly so the butter doesn't melt.  Make a well in the flour / butter mixture and add the liquid ingredients.  A wet dough will form.  Use an ice cream scoop (I used a big spoon because I broke my ice cream scoop) to portion the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  This should give you 8 shortcakes.  Bake at 400 degrees for 17 minutes.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  

Toss your cut up strawberries with sugar and let sit in the fridge while the shortcakes bake.  The longer they sit, the more juice they make.  

Assemble cooled shortcakes by cutting in half, dousing with strawberries and juice, and top with Cool Whip. Of course, you can make your own whipped cream.  








Comments

Shannon said…
It was pretty and sunny here today, too. Delmas mowed for the first time, grass is so lush and green, and our old 50 year crabapple tree looks like she’s just a few days away from being in full bloom. We have a Bradford pear out back and it’s covered in white blossoms. Your shortcake sounds wonderful.I’m not much of a baker, but I dreamed about my grandma on my Daddy’s side a few nights ago. We were making a butterscotch pie, and we put chocolate chips on the crust. It was a vivid, pleasant dream, and it made me feel so good.Yesterday I found a frozen pie shell in the freezer...won’t say exactly when the best by date was, but it was a little while ago. Anyway, today Delmas donned his protective gear and headed to market at 7am. He looked for butterscotch pudding mix, none to be had, but he came home with a box of vanilla. I popped my thawed, sad little pie crust in the oven for 7 minutes, took it out and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on the bottom, and finished baking it so the chips got nice and gooey. I sliced a slightly beyond-its-prime banana over the chips and poured the vanilla pudding mix over it all...must say, it tasted yummy! I think my grandma might be getting a little chuckle over my whole endeavor, bless her.Please tell your mom I said hi, give her a virtual hug from me. She’s a sweet lady. She raised sweet kids❤️❤️

Popular Posts