Zucchinni Mania

My life as a fake farmer has resulted in an onslaught of sleek, green zucchinis. Every spring I get desperate for something to grow and get a little ambitious in my gardening zeal. Foolishly, I planted six zucchini plants in my garden. Two weeks ago I was excited as the little boogers begin to blossom. Now, my food processor is bleeding green. I am not a big fan of the vegetable but feel obligated to use it. This was yesterday's contribution:
Tomato - Zucchini Tart by Southern Living

1/2 (15 oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts

1 med. zucchini, thinly sliced

2 tsp. olive oil

3 medium plum tomatoes, sliced

1/3 c. fresh basil, chopped

1/3 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/3 c. light mayonnaise

1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

1. Fit piecrust into a 9-in. tart pan according to package directions; trim excess. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust using a fork.

2. Bake piecrust in 400 degree oven for 9 - 11 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool.

3. Saute zucchini in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Arrange zucchini in bottom of prepared piecrust. Arrange tomatoes over zucchini.


4. Stir together basil, cheese, and mayonnaise. Drop by teaspoonfuls evenly on top of tomatoes, and spread gently. Sprinkle with pepper.


5. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese mixture is slightly melted.

The end result was a beautiful tart. I used two zucchini because I am trying to dispose of them and it didn't overfill the tart. This would be about 5 WW points per serving according to the information provided. It was good, but I didn't even feel the crust was necessary. Next time, I think I would skip the crust to save points and use fat-free mayonnaise. I thought they would be cute as little mini-tarts baked in individual ramekins. I would make this again to impress people.

Even my husband, Farmer Brown, who doesn't like new things ate a piece. Later, I caught him eating out of the pan. If he will eat it, most others will also.

Comments

Popular Posts