Homecoming Beans

Yesterday was Homecoming at our church. This must be a Southern tradition cooked up to give churches another reason to eat dinner together. Those little church ladies know how to potluck it. They judge ladies based on their dishes, looking to see who brought what. Don't even think about showing up with something store bought. I always feel this pressure to cook something good. I feel successful if I come home with empty dishes. This recipe is from my momma. It is one of those easy, just-throw-it together dishes that fills the crock pot. It travels well and you just plug it in when you get there. Feeds many and makes 'em happy. If I'm feeling rather saucy, I use diced tomatoes with chilies. And I was feeling so saucy yesterday, I added an extra can of chilies.

West Virginia Reunion Beans
1 (15 oz.) can pork and beans
1 (15 oz. ) can Lima beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
1 lb. hot sausage
2 diced onions
2 small green peppers, chopped
1 c. ketchup
1 c. brown sugar

Brown the sausage and drain. Mix everything together in a large crock pot on low for 4 - 5 hours.

*I took a picture of these but they looked like, well, beans. Not very appetizing. Maybe we need to hint at Farmer Brown for a new camera for my birthday.

**Of course, I know better than to just show up with one dish. I also took a Red Leaf Lettuce Salad with Poppy seed Dressing and Chocolate Whoopie Pies. (I felt kind of dirty calling them "Whoopie Pies" at church. I know, I know - the Amish in Pennsylvania call them Whoopie Pies. So not to offend anyone, I called them Chocolate Gobs. But don't you agree that Whoopie Pies is just more fun?) Whatever, I can home with empty plates there, too.

Comments

Popular Posts