Makin' Whoopie

Whoopie Pies, that is. I was in the mood for a Whoopie Pie. Someone had given me one of those new "Cakester" things, and it got me thinking about these little cakes. Miss Paula used to keep them in her icebox for her two boys. You can find that recipe on the Food Network. For whatever reason, I didn't want to do all that measuring and figured you could use a cake mix. A quick search online resulted in lots of results, mostly calling for a cake mix and a little extra flour. The reviews were mixed about the results. If I was going to do the work, I wanted them to be good. I pulled a recipe from my stockpile for a favorite Pumpkin Spice Whoopie. It uses a cake mix as a base, so why couldn't I just change the flavor of the cake mix? So here's the original recipe, just replace the spice cake mix with a chocolate one to make Chocolate Whoopies.

Pumpkin Spice Whoopies
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 pkg. spice cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 c. cold milk
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (A must!). Beat pumpkin and butter on medium speed until combined. Add cake mix, eggs, and milk. Beat on low until combined. Beat 1 minute more on medium speed. Drop by heaping tablespoons, 3 inches apart on prepared pans. Keep remaining batter chilled. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Place cookies in an airtight container, separated by wax paper. May be frozen at this point. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw, fill, and assemble.
Marshmallow-Spice Filling
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Assemble cookies and store in refrigerator.

*I didn't not add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the filling for the chocolate ones. I made two batches of the cakes and one batch of the filling and had enough. But if you really like your Whoopie to be messy, by all means, one turn of filling will be more than enough.

*This recipe came from our state's Market Bulletin. It always has nice recipes. Farmer Brown doesn't realize that I read his Market Bulletin and his Progressive Farmer when they come in the mail.

*I am also sure that there is some way to make the chocolate whoopies without using the pumpkin and they would still be moist, but I didn't feel like experimenting. You can't really taste the pumpkin with the chocolate. Besides, the pumpkin is good for you.

Comments

Popular Posts