Mama Mia!

I went to visit my mama this weekend. Her official job is to provide us with lots of food, continuous food during the length of our visit. I didn't want to upset her and waste all of that food, so I didn't mention the Farewell to Fat Tour. I just ate. And ate. And ate some more. She made the Fresh Peach Pound Cake from my posting here, a peanut butter pie, and Italian Anti pasta Squares.

Italian Anti pasta Squares
2 pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls
1/4 lb. sliced salami
1/4 lb. sliced Swiss cheese
1/4 lb. sliced sandwich-sized pepperoni
1/4 lb. sliced American cheese
1/4 lb. sliced cooked ham
1/4 lb. slice provolone cheese
Grease a 9 X 13 pan and spread one of the cans of rolls in the bottom of pan. Layer the meat and cheeses in the order listed.

Beat together
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
Pour over meat and cheeses.

Then layer on
1 12 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, drained
1 2.25 oz. can sliced ripe olives, drained
Unroll the second can of crescent rolls and lay out across the top. Beat an egg yolk and brush on top of the crescent rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 - 20 minutes or until deep golden brown.

Note:
She did not use olives because she doesn't like them. I think I would have liked olives, either green or black. I also thought that it would be good with some banana pepper rings.

My sister has made these and said that she doesn't like salami so she uses turkey.

This was good and reheated really well. In order to fully appreciate the recipe, I ate it hot from the oven, cool at room temperature, cold from the refrigerator, and warmed in the microwave. It did well in all of my tests.

Comments

Melanie Dickens said…
Thanks for the comment. I pretty much followed the South Beach diet because that is what my doctor recommended given that my triglycerides were extremely high. This summer I haven't done much of anything but just try to keep things from getting too far out of control. It's tough going at times but its worth it.

Popular Posts