The Apples and the Economy

Maybe the fruit knew something about the economy this year. Seriously, don't know about you, but I do feel a little apprehensive about the future. But my coffers are full. The fruit, all the fruit, was in abundance this year. So if things get too bad this winter with the price of gas, the price of food, there will be fruit at my house.

There is an overflow of apples. Personally, I haven't put apples into the freezer or made applesauce yet, but I predict that I will within the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, here is a recipe from my mom.

It really is ugly, about as ugly as Spencer just was to Heidi's mom. (My one guilty pleasure - watching The Hills on MTV right now. I think watching reality TV makes me feel a whole lot better about my normal life.)

Pop's Apple Ugly Cake
1 1/3 c. oil
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. sugar
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. chopped, peeled apples
1/2 c. raisins

Mix the oil, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl. Blend in remaining ingredients. Stir in the apples and raisins. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Serve with lemon sauce.

Lemon Sauce
1 can lemon pie filling
3 c. water

Blend together and serve with cake. (You know that I am a lazy baker. I have used a jar of prepared lemon curd with good results.)

**My stars, how can Lauren have so many terrible, back-stabbing friends. Talk about real ugliness.

Make a cake and share with your real friends. Appreciate the ugly cake and your beautiful friendships.

Comments

Popular Posts