Pumpkin Bread, Take 2

If I had to rename my blog, it would be "The Lazy Baker". It is just a few more steps to make something from scratch, and I do bake from scratch often. But at 9:30 at night, when I feel like some pumpkin bread would be good for tomorrow, I want to use one bowl and measure minimally.

I wondered if I could make pumpkin bread using a cake mix as a base. I found a recipe at some recipe software site called dvo.com. It's amazing what a little google can find you.

I brought out "the pan". I bought "the pan" from Williams-Sonoma several years ago. Nothing has ever turned out in it. It's cute to look at, the concept is great, but when you turn out pumpkin bread, it is hard to see the details. Yes, I sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yes, I have made white drizzly glazes. Still hard to see the details. Maybe this will be the time when "the pan" redeems itself.

Pumpkin Bread

1 pkg. yellow cake mix

1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin

3 eggs

1/3 c. vegetable oil

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Dump everything in a large mixing bowl. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the bowl. Mix for additional 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into two greased and floured loaf pans. Lick the beaters and the bowl and the spatulas. Bake at 350 degrees for 48 - 55 minutes, checking to see when the bread is pulling away from the sides. Cool for 10 minutes and invert onto wire rack to cool completely.

If it tastes good, looks good, it will go into this basket:


and I will take it to the all-day computer training I have to go to tomorrow. If it doesn't turn out, doesn't taste good, it will go to work with Farmer Brown.

Comments

Popular Posts