The March of the Penguins

For my birthday, I got a gift certificate for Amazon.com. (Thanks, Mrs. Butler!) One of my selections was this:


It is the best! Every creation is made with materials you can find around your house or at the grocery store. You don't even need to know how to do fancy cake decorating. There are clear directions and techniques, with lots of pictures.


For Frick's birthday, I let him pick which ones he wanted to take to the babysitter's to share. He picked the penguins.


After baking basic white cupcakes from a mix, it took about an hour to assemble and decorate them. It helps to have everything out and ready to go. After I got the basic shape down, it was easy. The penguin's body is made from stacking a mini donut on top of the cupcake, then a donut hole on top of that. You fill in the gaps with canned white icing. Pop into the freezer for ten minutes. Melt a can of chocolate canned icing in the microwave. Then you dip the frozen body into the icing and decorate with marshmallows, starbursts, cookie wafers, and mini chocolate chips.


The next time, I don't think that it would take as long. I made double of what the recipe called for because I had a whole batch of cupcakes and a boatload of donut holes.


Frick was so excited that he didn't want to eat them. Have a look.


Click to play Penguins

Smilebox" src="http://www.smilebox.com/globalImages/blogInstructions/blogLogoSmileboxSmall.gif" width=386>

Comments

Beth said…
Oh my gosh! How cute are THEY?!?
And totally clever. I think I might need that book...

Popular Posts