Mini Cakes!

First of all, my camera has bit the dust. Not that it was a great camera as my older posts can attest, but it was my camera. I am now in the market for a great camera on a low budget. Any suggestions would be welcome.
As a teacher, I am thankful that they use the schools for polling places. My guilty mom voice only scolded me once for sending the children to preschool while I stayed home and tried new recipes.
I was in a mini kind of mood. I made Mini-Chocolate Pumpkin Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Mini-Almond Coconut Cheesecakes.
The recipe for Chocolate Pumpkin Cakes came from Country Living. My friend's birthday was today and I wanted a little something to send to her. I made the recipe and used my Pampered Chef mini fluted pan. It made six perfect little cakes that popped right out. This recipe is a little more involved than I usually make. But with the children away and the extra time, it was relaxing to concentrate on a cake truly from scratch.
I frosted the cakes and placed them on little plates. I wrapped each one with parchment paper and tied them with a pretty ribbon. If I had my camera, I would have taken a picture to share the love with you.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
1 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk (I substituted plain yogurt)
1 c. canned pumpkin
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. sugar
3 large eggs, plus one yolk
The recipe calls to prepare two 8" cake pans, but I just sprayed my mini-fluted pans. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Stir the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and yolk one at a time. Reduce mixer speed to low and alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the pumpkin mixture. Bake about 35 minutes in a 375 degree oven. (I baked the mini cakes for about 30 minutes)
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat 6 oz. softened cream cheese using a mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add 1 1/2 c. of confectioners' sugar, 2 1/4 tsp. cocoa, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and 3/4 tsp. vanilla and beat until well combined on low speed. In a separate bowl, beat 1 1/2 c. heavy cream with 3/4 c. confectioners' sugar on medium-high speed to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.

Comments

Laura said…
You min almond coconut cheese cakes sound awesome also. Are you going to share that recipe too?

Popular Posts