Bacon and Mushroom Pasta

After all the gluttony of Thanksgiving, it is time to get back on track with eating well. This is one of my favorite WW recipes. I usually fry the whole package of turkey bacon. At my house, I have to hide my four slices or they will be gone before I finish the recipe. I have made this without the bacon and enjoyed it, but the bacon adds a little smoky flavor to the tomatoes.

As a side note, as I ate this and felt all smug and good about eating something semi-healthy, I had a new recipe in the oven - Pumpkin Apple Strudel. I will have to try a small piece tonight for blog's sake. Post the recipe tomorrow!

Bacon and Mushroom Pasta
4 center-cut bacon slices (I use turkey bacon)
1 med. onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 (8 oz.) package fresh baby portabello mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced (I only use 1)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 Tb. chopped fresh oregano (I use much less)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small box of fettucini (I used whole wheat linguine)
1/4 c. grated fresh Parmesan

Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 Tb. drippings in the pan. (Because the turkey bacon doesn't leave as much grease, I will add a little water or olive oil to the pan.) Add onion to drippings. Saute 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to sauce. Sprinkle servings with crumbled bacon and fresh Parmesean cheese.
Serving size is 1 cup. WW points per serving: 4 points!!

Comments

Heather said…
Ooh, this sounds tasty! My husband is a bacon fanatic!
Emily said…
Do you have any idea how much I love pasta?
I'm crazy about it. Especially with bacon.

Popular Posts