Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bacon and Mushroom Pasta

After all the gluttony of Thanksgiving, it is time to get back on track with eating well. This is one of my favorite WW recipes. I usually fry the whole package of turkey bacon. At my house, I have to hide my four slices or they will be gone before I finish the recipe. I have made this without the bacon and enjoyed it, but the bacon adds a little smoky flavor to the tomatoes.

As a side note, as I ate this and felt all smug and good about eating something semi-healthy, I had a new recipe in the oven - Pumpkin Apple Strudel. I will have to try a small piece tonight for blog's sake. Post the recipe tomorrow!

Bacon and Mushroom Pasta
4 center-cut bacon slices (I use turkey bacon)
1 med. onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 (8 oz.) package fresh baby portabello mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced (I only use 1)
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 Tb. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 Tb. chopped fresh oregano (I use much less)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small box of fettucini (I used whole wheat linguine)
1/4 c. grated fresh Parmesan

Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 Tb. drippings in the pan. (Because the turkey bacon doesn't leave as much grease, I will add a little water or olive oil to the pan.) Add onion to drippings. Saute 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to sauce. Sprinkle servings with crumbled bacon and fresh Parmesean cheese.
Serving size is 1 cup. WW points per serving: 4 points!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ooh, this sounds tasty! My husband is a bacon fanatic!

Emily said...

Do you have any idea how much I love pasta?
I'm crazy about it. Especially with bacon.

 

Designed by 100 Web Hosting