A Housewife with Little Time

On Wednesday's night's episode of Top Chef, the Quick Fire Challenge required the chefs to use prepackaged and canned food. Regular old stuff from the grocery store. The chefs were stunned.

My favorite comment came from Radhika who said the ingredients were "something a housewife with little time would use." It was a condescending comment that rubbed me the wrong way.

In her fifteen minutes, Radhika ended up making a bean dip with toast.



Here's what I can whip up in fifteen minutes, Radhika. (Okay, I need a little time to bake, but mine is more appetizing than bean dip.) Look at that cast of characters!


Chicken Enchiladas
4 - 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used the leftover roasted chicken)

2 cans of cheddar cheese soup

1 small can of green chilies

1 medium jar of salsa

2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

2 pkgs. small flour tortillas

Sauce:

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

1 can enchilada sauce

1/2 c. milk

Boil chicken until done. Shred chicken. Mix with the cheese soup (I sometimes only use one can of soup because it gets a little too soupy), chilies, and salsa. Fill the tortillas and roll up. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish. (I usually have two baking dishes filled with tortillas.) Mix the sauce and pour over top. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

*We really like these better the next day. They also freeze well.

Comments

kayona1981 said…
I love Top Chef but with that being said I could not believe they said some of the things they said. I am a home cook and I use many of those things they were asked to use. We can't all be Top Chef's that use all fresh ingredients and top of the line expensive stuff. I just thought it was really stupid considering the home cook is the main person who watches them on Top Chef. I am glad to see I am not the only one who thought it was inconsiderate to make those comments.
Brindi said…
Seriously, who do they think is watching the show? World famous executive chefs?
Tiffany said…
I've never seen that show, but I think it's kind of funny that they couldn't cook with real, ordinary food that the rest of us use on a daily basis. Maybe we should have a Top Chef and "Housewife with 15 minutes" contest. Bet I know who would win.
Brindi said…
The winner made some kind of soup with peas and crispy onions and SPAM. That was really innovative. Some really stepped it up, others seemed to think it was beneath them.

We could take them on.
Tina Butler said…
Brindi these enchiladas sound good. I am always up for new ways to make them.
oh no she didn't ;-) I didn't see that...but you go girl for fixing some yummy de-lish food with the ingredients!

Popular Posts