Get out the Grape Kool-Aid

When I was in college, I lived my last semester off-campus. As poor college students, my roommates and I would take turns cooking. One of our favorite dinners to make was Manwiches, tater tots, and grape Kool-aid. We live in West Virginia so we were/are allowed to call it our "trailer trash" dinner.



Nothing beats the combination. I'm not sure how nutritional it is, but it was filling and comforting and cheap. This isn't a post about Manwiches (I could write a whole love sonnet about Manwiches if required, though.) This is a post about a similar meal, another "trailer trash" dinner that is one of Farmer Brown's favorites.


Serve this up with some corn niblets from the freezer (you know, the little ears of corn) and some grape Kool-aid and it will be filling and comforting and cheap. Live a little if you dare - my son loves white bread with butter on it with this.

BBQ Kielbasa

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 medium pepper, thinly sliced

1 Tb. butter

1 lb. polish sausage

1 c. ketchup

1/2 c. brown sugar

2 Tb. Worcestershire sauce

In large skillet, brown the onion and pepper in the butter until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes, until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.



Comments

Heather said…
Wow, tater tots do sound good right now, lol! With the hubby and I in college and loan funds drying up until next fall, I'm very thankful to see this post tonight! In fact tomorrow is grocery day, so I might have to add this into next weeks menu. :-)
Julie said…
Mm..looks delish! Manwiches and tots don't sound half bad either (my kids love 'em!)
Tiffany said…
"trailer trash"? Maybe so, but that's what I was raised on and I still like it. That looks good to me.
Shawn said…
oh pshaw...that last one isn't trailer trash! My mom makes kielbasa sliced up and fried with potatoes. Now that is trailer trash!

The next night we'd generally have S.O.S. ..that one was always my favorite but really liked the fried potatoes and kielbasa too.

She found a cookbook called "White Trash Cooking"..it had most of her recipes in it! Ahahahaha1

Popular Posts