Strawberry Cake without a Picture

I have these cool neighbors that grow organic produce and wildflowers. I would like to take you on a visit, but I haven't got up the nerve to go over and ask to take pictures. One day....I promise.

Every Saturday, you can find these neighbors at our local Farmer's Market, which I would like to take you on a visit to but haven't for the same reason above.

Anyway, Farmer Brown and these people are good farm neighbors, borrowing equipment, assisting when livestock gets out - just general farm stuff.

Sometimes on the way home from the farmer's market, they will drop off stuff they didn't sell which isn't often because they have good stuff and sell out. This week they dropped off their organic strawberries. They were lovely.

We stuffed ourselves full of them. We had so many left though that were starting to get mushy, so I tried this recipe with them. It reminded my of the Jell-o poke cake my momma makes at Christmas.

Do you see the picture of the cake? Neither do I. I didn't have enough powdered sugar to make the frosting, and a big rat got into the cake. A big rat that looked exactly like Farmer Brown.

Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake
by Paula Deen and the Food Network
1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry-flavored instant jell-o
1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed (just pureed my mushy strawberries)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract (I would have not used this - maybe almond or vanilla extract?)
7 cups confectioners' sugar
Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. (I used a 9 x 13 pan - bake for about 35 minutes.) In a large bowl, combine cake mix and jell-o. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

For the frosting:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries.

Comments

Julie said…
Sounds so wonderful! I can just "picture" it now...hehe.

Popular Posts