The Power Juicer

I was sad to hear of Jack LaLanne's passing this past month. Many nights when I was up with hungry babies, I only had Jack LaLanne's infomercials to keep me company until the babies were asleep again. Even though I was intrigued, I never had an interest in buying Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer until Farmer Brown brought home some oranges. Three huge bags of oranges.

On the Sunkist website, I found some great orange recipes to try and got out my old-fashioned juicer. It was just me and my arm power. It was a lot of work to get the dribble of juice that you needed.




By the way, Jack LaLanne was not a big fan of sugar or processed foods. He would not approve of this recipe. Of course, that was his body. We won't post a picture of mine.

Orange-Almond Cake


1 cup whole natural almonds
14 ½ oz. angel food cake mix, plus any ingredients it calls for
2 Tbsp. Sunkist® orange grated peel
1 1/3 cups freshly squeezed Sunkist® orange juice
½ tsp. almond extract


Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Spread almonds in single layer on baking sheet. Toast 12 to 15 minutes in warm oven, until lightly browned. Gently shake pan from time to time. Cool and chop toasted almonds. Grate and juice oranges. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting orange juice for water called for. Fold in grated orange peel, almond extract and 1/2 cup chopped almonds. Spoon batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake and cool according to package directions.

Comments

Popular Posts