Oh, Honey.

Back on my days on the farm a la Laura Ingalls, Farmer Brown got buzzy.  Since we parted on good terms, he showed up a few weeks ago with two jars of his labor.  Look at how beautiful it is.  I am proud of his work.


I wanted to make sure that I made something worthy of the honey.  I searched and looked for days and found this recipe in an old church cookbook.  I thought it would be perfect.  It was good but didn't really showcase the flavor of the honey like I had hoped.



Honeycomb Coffee Cake

1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 Tb. lemon juice
10 oz. can refrigerated flaky biscuits
1/4 c. finely chopped nuts (I chose pecans)
Honey

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 9" round cake pan.  In a small baggie, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and graham cracker crumbs.  In another small bowl, combine melted butter and lemon juice.  Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces.  Drop biscuit pieces a few at time into the baggie, and shake to cover biscuit pieces completely.  Do this until all biscuit pieces are covered.  Arrange coated pieces evenly in the prepared pan.  With a small wooden spoon handle, poke a deep hole in each piece.  Drizzle with the butter mixtures.  Sprinkle with nuts.  Bake for 12 -18 minutes or until golden brown.  Turn immediately onto a wire rack and invert to a serving plate.  Fill the holes with honey before serving.

I used the wrong kind of biscuits and my honey holes filled in.
I'm still looking for ways to use the rest of the honey.  Any good ideas?  


Comments

Popular Posts