Enjoy the Pie

Nora Ephron died this week.

You didn't know her, but you loved her.

She wrote some of the best romantic movie scenes of all time.  Like this scene:


      with this quote,

"“Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic."


She also wrote this movie,


    
 with that quote, my stars, that quote, 


“I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” 


But it was this quote of hers that made me know that we were soul sisters from afar.  

“I don't think any day is worth living without thinking about what you're going to eat next at all times.” 


In her book, I Remember Nothing, she ended with a list of things she would and wouldn't miss about life.  The last thing she would miss on the list?   Pie.  


I would agree.  Pie is something to get overly excited about.  It would be on my list of things I would miss about life, even pies that are imperfect.   Enjoy life today by watching a good Nora Ephron movie, sobbing into some tissues, and eating some pie.


Apple Upside-Down Pie

1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 (15 oz.) pkg. refrigerated pie crusts, divided
4 medium-size Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
2 large Jonagold apples, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tb. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg



Stir together pecans, brown sugar, and butter.  Spread onto bottom of a 9" pie plate.  Fit one pie crust over pecan mixture, allowing excess crust to hang over.  Stir together apples and next five ingredients.  Spoon apple mixture into crust, packing tightly and mounding in center.  Place remaining pie crust over filling;  press both crusts together, fold edges under, and crimp.  Place pie on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.  Cut 4-5 slits on top of pie for steam to escape.

Bake at 375 degrees on lower over rack for 1 hour  to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly, crust is golden brown, and apples are tender when pierced with a long wooden pick through slits in the crust.  Shield pie with aluminum foil after 50 minutes, if necessary to prevent excessive browning.  Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.  Place a serving plate over top of pie;  invert pie onto serving plate.  Remove pie plate and scrape any remaining pecan goo in pie plate on top of pie.  

Had a little trouble getting it out of the pan.  

Sad little pie.  



What is your favorite Nora Ephron movie or scene?  

Comments

Popular Posts