His Mama's Cake

I have a foodie friend.  He appreciates food of all types.  I often will share with him what I make, and he will give me honest feedback.  Sometimes, too honest.

I had worked hard at making a chocolate zucchini cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. It was dry.  I knew it was dry.  The frosting was enough to cover the dryness, I thought.  When he ate a bite, he didn't say much, just, "You should try my mom's chocolate zucchini cake."

That is like a dagger to the heart of this woman.  A boy's first love is always his mama, and I can find that endearing.  But when you start comparing my cooking to yo' mama's cooking, you set the expectations higher than a girl can reach.  Okay, I know he didn't say that the cake was dry.  I know he didn't say his mom's cake was better.  It was heavily implied, though.

A few days later, she friended me on Facebook, sending me the recipe for her chocolate zucchini cake.

Don't tell him, but her cake was better than mine.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
by His Mama

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 c.all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 c. zucchini, finely shredded
1/4 c. chocolate chips

Cream butter, oil, and sugar together in large bowl.  Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk.  Beat with mixer.  Mix dry ingredient together and add to creamed mixture.  Beat well.  Stir in zucchini.  Spoon batter into greased and floured 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.  Bake at 325 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.

Alas, it was so good and moist, it needed no frosting.

Insert Photo Here

In an unfortunate accident, I dropped my iPhone into the water while getting a pedicure.  Even thought the thoughtful nail technician hurriedly placed the phone in a bowl of rice, my iPhone was lost, including all the photos of this lovely cake.  I currently am out of zucchini, or I would have made another cake and placed photos here.  

In the meantime, here is a  picture of me and Frack who I hope will never appreciate anyone's baking but mine.  




Comments

Popular Posts