Big Bowl of Sunshine

Ahhhh.....tis the new year.   A time for grand proclamation that this year will be better, be different.  To be honest, last year was pretty good for me.  I have been in and will continue to be in a state of transition.  As I barrel down the road to the 40's, I am becoming more aware of who I am, how I work, what I like.  With this awareness is the acknowledgement that I no longer have to say "yes", be a team player, commit to social obligations that will deflate me, or make excuses for my body.

Moving from being a people pleaser to a self-pleaser finds me taking more care of myself.   And sometimes this care of myself leads other people to think that I am avoiding them or skipping obligations.  The truth of it is that my health and well-being is essential to me being a good mother, an excellent girlfriend, a supportive friend/daughter/sister/aunt, and a productive teacher.  You know, all those priorities I want to place in the forefront for myself. 

So, no doom and gloom here about the last year, and no promises that I will struggle to fulfill leaving me feeling poopy about myself.  I just want to be this happy, confident human that just emits sunshine in her path. 

Take this from me - my first gift of sunshine to you.  This is a lovely bowl of sunshine to eat during these cold months.  Imagine opening your lunch box on a dreary winter day and seeing this colorful salad.  I understand that strawberries are out of season and can taste mushy.  I know they are expensive.  Feel free to substitute grapes, apple chunks, or any other fruit on sale this week.  The dressing is good on everything.  Make the dressing separate and only drizzle it on when you are ready to eat. 

Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Lettuce (Red leaf and green leaf mixture)
1 pint sliced, fresh strawberries
1 can mandarin oranges
1 green onion, chopped
sliced almonds
chow mien noodles

Dressing:
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. poppy seeds

Combine sugar and mustard.  Add other ingredients in a container with a tight lid.  Shake well.



Comments

Popular Posts